Basics of Grounding Apr 6, 2006 21:40:51 GMT -5
Post by Sojrn on Apr 6, 2006 21:40:51 GMT -5
"Magic of any kind should be respected and only worked with clear intent. This site does not guarantee success of any spell posted here, authorize or condone the use of any spell, and takes no responsibility for any spell posted here. The posting of spells is for information and discussion purposes only."
Grounding in a metaphysical sense functions just like grounding a wire in electronics. Grounding forms a connection with a stabilizing force - in general, the earth beneath our feet -- in order to allow energy to flow into that force so it does not become erratic or uncontrolled.
Some people are naturally very grounded, so their energy rarely gets erratic or out of control. Others tend to be very ungrounded, and this is evident in their flightier energy which often shifts erratically.
The basic process of grounding is very simple. You simply take your energy and send it into the ground. The connection to the earth helps to stabilize you and prevent excess energy from creating an erratic state.
The visualization used for grounding can vary from person to person. The following techniques are some that seem most common:
Be the Tree
Envision your body as if it were the trunk of a tree. Where your feet touch the ground, roots spread out into the earth. These roots connect you deeply to the soil, anchoring you and passing any energy that you don't need into the ground below.
Envision the energy within you and see it form a spike that descends into the ground below. Send it deep into the earth so that it anchors you firmly. Reach through the soil to the stability of rock, and let any excess energy pass through you down the spike to disperse into the earth.
Grass Between Your Toes
For a more hands-on sort of grounding, take your shoes off and go outside. Stand in the grass and feel the grass between your toes and the earth beneath your feet. Allow energy to pass from your feet to the ground below. You can strengthen the grounding with either of the above two visualizations. Feel rooted to the earth, feel stabilized by it. Allow it to anchor you to the world.
Sit down on the ground Indian-style or in the Lotus position. You can do this either inside on the floor or outside directly on the ground. Where your body touches the ground, visualize energy passing from you to the earth. To strengthen this connection, touch your hand to the ground as well. Using your hand as a focus, visualize a spike of energy going down from you to the earth, anchoring you firmly. Allow any erratic or unstable energy to flow from you into the ground. If you are very practiced at this, you may only need to reach down and touch the ground in order to anchor and stabilize your energy.
When to Ground
Just as important as knowing how to ground is knowing when to ground. The following situations are times when it's a good idea to ground and stabilize your energy:
1. When you're in a large crowd and you feel overwhelmed by the energy and feelings of all the people. This goes double for empaths and people who aren't very good at shielding.
2. Whenever your empathy is causing you to get overwhelmed by the emotions of another person, whether it's a close friend, a housemate who's having a bad day, or the fellow across from you on the subway who for some reason you formed an instant connection to.
3. When the energy of a place or person is making you feel sick or agitated.
4. When an imbalance in your own energy is making your thoughts race or making you experience radical shifts in emotions or sensitivity.
5. When a heightened state of sensitivity causes you to feel "spacey" or severely disconnected from the world around you. Sometimes such a heightened state is desirable, so only you will know when it's gotten out of hand and you really need to ground.